Friday, February 15, 2008

The Economist

For the very first time in my LOST television history…I am completely…LOST. What a great frickin episode that was!!! I am loving this season. But this threw me for a loop. This entire blog will basically be me recalling and connecting what miscellaneous dots I found. I knew there was going to be a shocking pairing at the end, but I did not see that coming! Of course when I heard his voice I knew it was Ben, but until that point, no clue. Ben is Sayid’s boss in the future?!? The amount of questions this episode gave us is great because it showed the edges of the bigger picture.

Summary

I loved Hurley’s line, “Oh great. The freighter sent us another Sawyer.” Loved it! And who the hell is Miles to name call?!? I like the Sawyer/Kate thing more than Jack/Kate. I am glad they are hooking up next episode. But of course…it won’t be for long. Another Sawyer nickname, “Gizmo”, referring to Ben as a gremlin. I have never been a Sayid fan but he looked hot off the island. Although I was surprised he could pull a girl that quickly and it made more sense that it was set up. I like the new characters but it sucks that we don’t get to see much of our old favorites (Jin, Sun, Claire).

Connections

The bracelet that Naomi was wearing is similar to the one Elsa was wearing. Frank and Daniel clearly recognized the last name Widemore. The numbers on the rocket had the numbers in them. When Sayid killed the man on the golf course, the sprinklers came on. Water=danger. Always raining before the violence on the island. Also on the golf course, Sayid was wearing a white glove and the other dude black ones.

Questions

Time difference: I have always maintained that time shift plays a major factor on the island. I think the whispers are people on another point in time talking and that is why we can hear them but not clearly understand what they are saying. The experiment that Daniel performed showed that time on the island was 31min 20 sec off. I think that is why Daniel warned Frank to stay on the exact coordinates when leaving. I am not sure what it all means but I am glad Daniel is there to figure it out. Here is me taking a big leap….I watched the show Journeyman (which was excellent!) and it had a guy that time traveled and had to resolve situations in peoples’ lives (and no it was very different from Quantum Leap!). Anyway he always had to make sure he had the correct clothes and money when he jumped. I think it’s interesting that Ben had very basic clothes in his closet as well as different denominations of money. Denominations that were only printed during specific time frames. That is how the dude in Journeyman got caught by the FBI because he used money that was not in circulation at the correct time. Ben has some old money in the drawer. Of course, none it of it (that I saw) was from the future. But it may be another key.

Roles: Each person on the Freighter was sent for a reason. Miles perhaps for the cosmic or paranormal aspect on the island. Maybe eventually the smoke monster. Daniel for the electromagnetic force on the island. Charlotte for the archaeological aspect such as the 4-toed statue and the Dharma carvings. Frank’s connection is to Oceanic as he was supposed to have been the pilot. Naomi was after Ben. It makes sense that Michael may have been on the sailboat and run into the freighter as they were searching for a way to contact the island. He may be the plant on the boat. Or maybe it’s even Walt. Maybe he was able to project himself to Locke to warn him. Ben already knew of the danger and he needed an ally, Locke. But he needed someone he could trust like Walt. Who knows! The more it seems to make sense, the more confused I get.

Ben: WTF! I think what’s most shocking about him is that he is more powerful than first thought. We knew he was a master manipulator and controlled everything on the island. But now we know he also controls things OFF of the island and in person! Why does he need currency and passports for different countries? What is he looking for off of the island, not just in the future but before Sayid found the room? How does he get Sayid on his side? It not THAT surprising because Sayid always did what he was supposed to do, whether or not he wanted to. Remember he was forced into it back in Iraq. He seemed like a little boy being scolded. Like someone how the fate of everything rested on him working for Ben. Why is it just the two of them working together?

Oceanic Six: Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, person 5, person 6. #1: It sounded as if Ben was manipulating Sayid into killing for him to help his friends. What friends? Most of the people he seemed to care about are already off the island with him. And we still have 2 more people to go. So what could make Sayid think it was ok to kill off who I am assuming are people connected to the crash? #2: Who is person 5 & 6? Claire is supposed to be one according to Desmond’s vision. He didn’t say she would be saved by a boat, but be loaded into a helicopter. That is pretty specific. Aaron wouldn’t count because he technically wasn’t a passenger on Oceanic 815. So let’s say its Claire and ? Everyone else is a couple so I can’t see them leaving without the other person. It really has to either be Sawyer or Locke. Locke would be absolutely shocking!!! I would like it to be Jin, Sun, Claire. But again, why would Sayid kill and Charlie visit Hurley and say they THEY need your help. Who would be left to care about?

We now know that Ben was able to get off and on the island after the submarine was destroyed. So why can’t the other Losties leave that way as well? I am so excited!

Conclusion

I watched the vodcast after the show. It was Ben and Sayid this week. They of course did not give away anything but it was fun to see them. Michael Emerson did say that although Ben is like an evil manipulator, when all is revealed about him he will be shown to be the one standing in between good people and their destruction. I believe that. I think although Ben can have a skewed and self-centered view of things, he is also looking out for their best interest.

An update now that the writers strike is over, Season 4 is going to be re-written and instead of 16 episodes it’s going to be 13. We will see 5 more in a row, LOST will go on hiatus for a month and then back for 5 more episodes. The 3 episodes we are technically losing are going to fit somehow into season 5 & 6. With all the shows coming back, after the hiatus, LOST is moving to 10pm on Thursday nights. It sucks but they cannot go up against AI and people would Tivo it anyway. LOST lends itself better to Tivo since people like to speed through commercials and re-watch. If you miss AI live, you can’t resist hearing who was voted off. I like 9pm…but I understand.

Next week we get to see the Oceanic Six and the media storm. Not sure if another or all will be revealed. I like the straight through episodes even though LOST took forever to get here. It was absolutely worth the wait. Until next week, Cya!

No comments: