Friday, March 21, 2008

Meet Kevin Johnson

Summary

I’m sorry. But I did NOT like this episode. I am still trying to figure out why? I am sooo glad that we have more shows this season. This closed an arch but not as neatly as I think the producers thought. They gave us in these last 8 episodes the Oceanic Six, intention of the Freighties and what happened to Michael and Walt. You WOULD think that was fantastic. But I think what is upsetting me is I don’t like the answers!

Oceanic Six: So Aaron is one of the Oceanic Six. This would be a good thing if it was clearly revealed. Half of the people out there think it was. Promo said it would be revealed and we were shown a baby (We already knew Kate was one). Case closed. But it makes little sense if Aaron is Claire’s and how a convicted felon got custody of a baby. OR if everyone thinks its Kate’s and the baby was not an Oceanic passenger but just covered under the media frenzy when they were rescued and he was included in the term “Oceanic Six”. It further complicates things when you think of Jack’s testimony that 8 survived, 2 died. Because that means that was a separate story entirely and has nothing to do with who ultimately was an Oceanic Six.   It still doesn't make sense!!!!  But fine.  I don’t have to like it without further explanation.

Freighties: So some are good and some are bad. Make me a list….sound familiar? Same thing that happened to the Losties is happening to the Freighties. Infiltrated by an Other, some are deemed worthy and allowed to live. Ok. No more mystery there! If Frank said Widmore believes him that it’s not Oceanic 815 at the bottom of the ocean, he is either playing Frank or Ben put the fake plane there. I think that it is more likely Ben because has more to loose than Charles if the island is found.

Michael & Walt: So Ben didn’t lie and allowed Michael and Walt off the island as he said he would. Michael is fighting demons (just like Jack. Makes sense why Jack couldn’t kill himself…more work to do?). Walt is normal and not “ghost Walt.” Some Others can move on and off the island. Sayid turns Michael in and perhaps this is why he ends up working for Ben in the flash forward. This seems like a bad move.

Mr. Friendly being gay, which was already suspected, why is that important? What a So What moment! I think Ben set up Karl because of the way he was touching his daughter. Sure the Freighties were on an “errand”, but they had machine guns. Not precision guns with silencers. I think it’s more likely that it was a protection system around the Temple, much like the electric fence around the barracks. Why kill 2 women and a young man without provocation? I think it’s the Others who would know to kill only Karl and Rousseau. But I could be wrong…seems to be a growing trend!

Connections

Michael turned the radio to a volume of 17, 1+7=8 the numbers. Mr. Friendly told Michael to meet him at the Hotel Earle which is a reference to the movie Barton Fink. That is a strange hotel a writer stays at while he wrestles with writer’s block. The significance of the game show on the tv in Michael’s apartment was a reference to Kurt Vonnegut the author of Slaughterhouse Five. Slaughterhouse Five has been referenced in the brainwashing scene with Karl. Another Stephen King book the Shining was mentioned. Also the Mama Cass song when Michael attempted suicide. Karl says “I have a bad feeling about this”, just like Hans Solo in Star Wars.

Questions

Does this change who is in the casket? Michael could have completed his task and then allowed to die. Of course how did he end up in LA when he was last living in New York. I am not sure I even want to know anymore. I think it’s another example is the more we learn the closer to the end we are getting.

Conclusion

So we are off until April 24th. But back at 10pm, boo! I have really liked the 9pm start time, 10pm will be difficult. Instead of hoping for more answers, I just look forward to this show playing itself out. The highs and lows are driving me crazy. One week I am cheering and screaming at the tv, the next I am staring in disbelief and scratching my head. I will update the blog if I find out anything new while the show is on break. I hope to hear the podcast from the producers and that it will hopefully clear a few things up. We shall see. Until April….c-ya!

No comments: