Friday, March 07, 2008

The Other Woman

Summary

They lied to me!!!  There wasn’t a big reveal this week. I guess that’s what I get for peaking at spoilers. I thought it was a good episode, more character development. Ben was extra creepy. I liked the way that they showed him throwing a tantrum because he wasn’t getting his way. I also like Juliet a lot. She has become a very solid and complex character. I knew the minute I saw her hair that it was a flashback episode. Even though it made you think it was about her, Ben really stood out. There were also some really good lines: “It’s really stressful being an Other.” “Trust me, Jack, you don’t want to see my file.” And Ben’s twisted, “Take as much time as you need.” Kate was extra stupid. Yeah…let me bend over and turn my back to you while investigate why you are lying to me. Dumb! I, like many other people, am not feeling the spark between Jack and Juliet. Him and Kate? Hot and heavy. You can feel the longing for one another. Him and Juliet? Not so much.

Connections

Ben is reading the Valis book still (see previous blog). The combination to the safe was 36, 15, 28. 15 is a number and 36-28=8, a number. The name of the new Dharma station is the Tempest. This name is taken from the William Shakespeare play. Very basic overview of the plot: the Tempest or storm crashes a ship onto an island and the survivors as well as the inhabitants of the island intermingle. Once they leave, they are changed forever. Island has mystical powers. Some one is a sorcerer. English majors, forgive me. I think when Harper said to Juliet, “You look just like her”. I think she was referring to Ben’s mom. Everyone on the island has some issues with parents. Ben’s whole obsession was trying to solve fertility issues on the island because his mom died during childbirth. And also a psychologist is basically pointing out his off center Oedipus complex issue with Juliet. Not too mention his love Annie was a brunette and his mom looks similar to Juliet. Dr. Harper has a degree in Experimental Psychology and worked for the Hanso Foundation as evidenced by the awards she had on her wall. I couldn’t understand any of the whispers at all! I have searched for a possible translation but couldn’t find one. I listened to it online and still could not make out anything.

Questions

I thought the entire “we-are-going-to-defuse-the-gas-but-lie-to-you” was dumb but than I thought about it. The Freighties are still not sure who they can trust and were afraid someone was going to try and stop them. Which is exactly what happened. I don’t think it was Ben that manifested Harper to Juliet. I think it was the smoke monster at the behest of the island. I think the island has its own security system. And if it thinks there is a threat, it tries to stop it. I don’t think that Ben couldn’t get to Juliet. I just still believe in the mysticism of the island and think that it didn’t want its main defense against outsiders disabled.

It wasn’t a major shock that Widmore is the man behind the Freighter. I think that was hinted on pretty hard before by him buying the Hanso diary. But Ben rarely tells the whole truth and it’s often twisted. So what are we missing? Were they working together and then are now enemies? Not sure but there is more to that story.

Who is the man on the ship? It has to be someone that would shock Locke, so it has to be someone from the island or someone he knows. Here are 4 potential (and wild) choices, ranked in order of weirdness:

#4 - Locke’s Dad. Sawyer killed him. But what if he was working for Ben before he came to the island. There is a time differential. I can barely argue this one because it’s the most far-fetched to me. I would think it was the dog before I thought this one was plausible.

#3 – Sayid. We know he works for Ben in the future. This could be the start of it. Factor in the time differential theory again and it could make sense. But I think this would be plausible to Locke, thus not shocking like Ben alluded to.

#2 – Walt. Perhaps this was why he wanted him in the first place. He allowed Michael to leave knowing he would be picked up by the freighter. And then he would have someone on the inside. Not only someone working for Ben, but also someone whose information the Losties would trust as well.

#1 – Michael. We all know he is coming back. It makes sense that he was picked up on the freighter and knows he cannot get back to civilization until what ever happens between the Freighter and Ben happens. Maybe he is guilt ridden and by working for Ben is trying to help the Losties. Ben turned Sayid, he could of course turned Michael. This would be shocking to Locke because he thinks Michael actually got off the island and wouldn’t think he would be working for Ben. It makes sense that it’s Michael if you think of the story as a whole and weren’t into reading about the show, finding out Michael was coming back and analyzing and interpreting every episode. Some people guessed the Aaron thing and I was blind-sided.

Conclusion

I accidentally clicked on a site and saw who the Oceanic Six was. I am hoping I am wrong and that it was a flashback, but if not, damn! It’s so hard now because now that LOST is hot again, information is everywhere. 2 more episodes before the month break. It has been soooo good. Have a great week and until next time, c-ya!

No comments: