Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham

Announcements

Ok. So the not talking about LOST until I blog is not working either. If I don’t talk about it, I forget about it. If I do, then I feel like I’m repeating myself. I can’t win! I will do better next week. I am officially lifting the ban on discussing LOST. I think it hurt me more than it affected any of you anyway!

Summary

I thought the show was okay. I felt that John really didn’t try too hard to get everyone back. He met with everyone once and then let it go. Ben was way more persuasive just by the way he spoke to them. I think it was important in a sense to notice the dichotomy. Locke was back in the wheelchair. Dismissed by all of them. Even Walt didn’t have much time to sit and chat with him. He was impotent and depressed. On the island, he was a leader. Physically strong and persistent, knowledgeable and skillful. On the other hand, Ben lost his followers. He got a tumor. Daughter killed. He was broken on the island. When I look at the episode from that perspective, I take back my okay statement. It was masterful.

Connections

The numbers were everywhere. It had been 4 days for Locke since he saw Widmore in the camp. Locke was told to press 23 on the cellphone to reach Widmore. The Time magazine had the hydrogen bomb on the cover and it was dated April 1954. According to the ID, Jeremy Bentham is born on 15 Feb. 48 (8 years earlier than Locke's real birthday in 1956). Locke and Abaddon are standing outside Southfield's, the New York branch of the London auction house where Widmore bid on and won the Black Rock diary (and where he met with Desmond) in 1996. Since we already saw the plane occupants, we know the connections between Cesar and Illana. Cesar is the Jack-like dude who is now the “leader” of the Flight 316 passengers. Ilana is his Kate.

Questions

Okay there are 2 trains of thought. One is that Ben, Locke, Sun etc are on a different time periods then Jack, Kate and Hurley. They flashed while the plane was landed safely on their current course. That would suck for Sun since now she wont be with Jin, but it would be totally cool to see how the groups eventually meet back together. The other thought is that they are in the same time period, but Jack, Kate, Hurley are on the main island and the rest on the Hyrda station (remember when Sawyer had that heart monitor on and Ben took him out of his cage for a walk), Since Sun and Frank took the boat, we shall see what they find when they get back to the main island. Is it the past or the present? Will they meet with the other Losties, like Rose and Bernard. I don’t know what the heck is going on…but I’m excited. I am voting for different time periods. Mainly because of the boats and the fact that Faraday's drawings were all over the office Cesar was searching. They looked old.

Why isn’t Ilana concerned about her fugitive? She did bring Sayid handcuffed to the island. I didn’t see Sayid in the infirmary. So where is he? Why were Cesar and Ilana on the plane? I feel a Widmore plant. Not sure which one.

Why did Ben stop Locke from suicide and then kill him and bring him back to the island?

Ben.

It bothered me that Ben stopped Locke from suicide just to murder him a few minutes later. But I think I understand.

Ben moved the island. He came back and manipulated Sayid for years to help him fight for him against Widmore. Ben didn't come back, collect everyone and head home. Because it wasn't time. Ben was watching everyone and keeping them close, but allowing them to live their lives. Until it was time. He didn't get to exact his full revenge on Widmore. But then...he saw Locke. He kills Abbadon, who was basically Locke's bodyguard. He goes to Locke to find out why he is there. He talks Locke out of committing suicide because it wasn't time. But the MINUTE Locke mentions Eloise, Ben realizes its time to get back to the island. Ben remembers Eloise (Ellie) from the island. He needs to get to her before Locke does. She knows the way back. He kills Locke, visits Eloise and is told how much time he has to get everyone together and to the correct flight and location. The portal would be re-opening. So, knowing that someone has to be brought back dead, he kills Locke. Sets up the suicide as a way to manipulate the others and it works. Or maybe not so much as time for the portal to open, but to prepare for the "war" that Widmore eluded to. Alpert seemed to get on and off the island. So did Mr. Friendly. But maybe it was Ben. And he could not go back without Locke since he turned the wheel. Why didn't Widmore just jump on the plane as well?

Widmore thinks Locke was tricked off the island by Ben as he was. Locke left willingly because he knew he could get back. Ben left and thought there was no way back. Until he sees Locke and learns his purpose for being in the real world.

Locke was never going to be allowed to kill himself. Jack and Michael tried and failed. It was not their time. Locke needed to die, but Ben had to be there as well to get the others. I am not certain that Ben knew that Locke would be re-born. He kept saying "I'll miss you." to him after the death. More so, sorry I have to do this but we have to go back. Not sorry, but its okay because you will be alive again soon. Or maybe because Locke is a little different now. Like Christian was and like Claire. Content. Resurrected. I will have to let this one marinate for awhile.

Conclusion

I think from this jumbled mess of a blog, I need the Thursday discussion! I think things are going to pick up on LOST island and I am sooo excited. I didn’t watch the previews for next week so I have no idea where we are going. But I am enjoying the ride. I saw the headline about Evangeline Lily leaving LOST. It’s a deceptive article. She has been auditioning for new TV shows. Not a big deal because this is close to the last season anyway. Not to mention the way it is shot, she can do both if she got another gig. Several character actors play multiple roles at the same time. I watch the TV show Life and Sarah Connor Chronicles. The killing terminator on one show and the Russian mobster on the other is the same guy. It can work. Not to mention I don’t think anyone would throw his or her career down the drain by leaving a show like this in its final season. But just in case, I’m staying away from any more potential spoilers. Have a fun and safe weekend and until next week…c-ya!

No comments: