Saturday, February 14, 2009

This Place is Death

Announcements

Hello all! I have added a new section to the LOST blog: Announcements. Here I will relay important (to me) information about the site or about the world outside of the episode but in relation to the show. I also added 2 links to the blog page. The first is Characters on LOST. If you ever get confused about who is who and how they are connected to another character, you can go there. The second link is the LOST timeline. Since we have flashbacks, flash forwards, present time and time shifts, things can start getting confusing fast. Both were created by people on Wikipedia. I thought about building it myself for about 5 seconds and then spent the next 30 finding them on the Internet.

Also at the bottom of the LOST Blog page you will find a message board box. I am still testing to make sure it works, but feel free to post on it. No better way then trial and error. I love the idea of us dialoging together about the show. Post comments, thoughts, questions, projections…no spoilers please! I like to discover the show as it happens and knowing the future ruins it for me (i.e. knowing Michael was coming back).

Also in an attempt to get these out in a more timely fashion, I will no longer be discussing the episode before posting the blog. What happens is I get all talked out about it and forget to type my thoughts out and post. Hence this Saturday blog! So be forewarned. No blog=no talk! Now, on to the show…

Summary

I thought his was a good episode. No big shocking moments that we have had recently, but still solid. I loved it when Sawyer and Jin are reunited. Very touching considering they have only known each other about 4 months. They are now like brothers. Also still loving Miles. When Sawyer looked at him to translate what Jin was saying, his response “He’s Korean, I’m from Encino.” Classic! I didn’t like the scenes between Sun, Locke and Jack at the pier though. I didn’t think they advanced the story much.

Connections

Although I still have not had enough or Rousseau, it was nice to see the beginnings of her story. Everything she told Sayid and later the Losties about her early time on the island was shown to be true. The musical box that Sayid fixed while being held captive (thanks R.G) was the same one that Jin comes across on the beach that Montand gave Rousseau. The gun locks on Montand as he is about to shoot Rousseau just like Sayid’s did when he was about to shoot her. Rousseau disconnected the firing pin with Sayid and I am guessing did the same thing with Montand. Ben tells Rousseau to take Alex to the Temple for safety from Keamy, I guess to be protected by the smoke monster. Rousseau and crew left from Tahiti on November 15th, 1988 – the numbers. Charlotte makes a comment about Geronimo Jack (who was mentioned in earlier episodes) and by Daniel’s former lab assistant while she was suffering the effects of time shifing. Most of the other connections were from last week (Oceanic 6 are at Pier 23, an anagram for reincarnation is on the side of Ben’s van).

Questions

Smoke Monster – Why does it click?!? I hope I learn that answer by the end of the show. I think they take away some of the mystery by it sounding like roller coaster acending a hill , like something that is being unleashed rather than and actual thing that attacks based on its own mind. Why is it protecting the Temple? What happened to the science team after it was exposed to it for several weeks (Rousseau was still pregnant and dead guy’s arm was not that decomposed)? Was it exposure to the monster or interaction with the Others?

Christian/Jacob/Locke – As said before in the cabin, Jacob is speaking through Jacob. Do they both still exist then? Christian makes a reference to his son and then there is a flash, like Daniel tells Desmond to find his mother, and then there is a flash. Always the mystery instead of – Tell JACK I said hello, Find my mother Eloise Hawkings – never simple! What is Jacob’s interest in the Oceanic Six returning to the island? If Locke, no Ben gone in the first place, how would things be different? It seems as if Locke was either destined to move the wheel and leave the island forever or sacrifice himself for the island. It seems as if he gets a raw deal no matter what. I didn’t like it when he became weak again. I like strong, kick-ass Locke. Not befriending FBI agent, swindled out of my kidney Locke.

Daniel/Charlotte – So Daniel will time travel again to Charlotte and tell her as a child not to return to the island. I am curious to who is Charlotte’s mother, or father in all of this. Is it significant? It would seem pointless for her to come back for a month and then die without a clear connection or purpose. I am sure we will see her again or her manifestation.

Oceanic 6 – Why don’t they ALL have to go back? I will be extremely disappointed if only some of them have to return. If Jeremy/Locke has been running around for months trying to get them to go back, Ben must have convinced him somehow that his death was the only way to convince them. Jack is going back because of guilt, Kate because of Jack, Sun because of Jin, Hurley if Sayid tells him to, but how do you get Sayid to go? I think he is the weak link.

Conclusions

Hopefully the new guidelines in the above announcements will make things run a little smoother. I think this episode was a connector so next week will be pretty great. I look forward to more Daniel. He has slowly become my show favorite. Feel free to comment in the message box. Any questions you have, please feel free to put it in there as well I’m sure our collective minds can answer it! You can use your real name, fake name, and initials whatever. All are welcome. So until next week…c-ya!

No comments: