Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Everybody Loves Hugo

An early blog! About damn time. I think its because this episode was not hard to process. So let’s get to it.


Summary


Fail. I am just going to come out and say it. I am disappointed on how things are going based on this episode. Lazy, rushed, nonsensical, irritating…those are the words that came to mind. And it could have worked! I thought the scenes of Desmond in LA were great. But back on the island the story just dragged. Not too mention blowing up Ilana?!? What was the point of that? That seemed to be thrown in at the last minute. I think the entire crew of the second plane of “good guys” was pointless. I think the worse offense was the explanation of the Whispers. I had always thought it was people on a different plane of time. They were observing them and commenting on what was going on. I would have even liked as the characters were flashing back to the island that those comments were the ones they were hearing on another plane. But no. It was basically lost souls commenting on them. Would have been more bang for the buck if the camera slowly panned and we saw Boone. That would have been a better use of his guest appearance. And it was so mater-of-fact! A major piece of the Lost mystic and it was “Oh, the Whispers are you guys, huh?” Didn’t like it.


At this point not sure where the story is going. Jin is on the boat being held captive so no reunion with Sun. Miles is with the barracks group so no more quipy lines. Ben seems relegated to side comments. Sawyer was just plain annoying with his faux bad boy stance. Didn’t like it.


Connections


The previous episode was entitled Everybody Hates Hugo. I had no idea that there was really a restaurant chain called Spanish Johnny’s but there is. Dr. Marvin Candle/Pierre Chang introduced Hugo at this Man of the Year banquet. Desmond’s chicken order was #42. Ilana is blown up by the dynamite much like Dr. Arzt was. The red book Hurley finds is called Notes from Underground and was Russian book written in 1864. Some boards have mentioned that Locke’s eyes changed colors. I didn’t notice that so I can’t comment any further but it may come back in regards to the SM and Locke combination.


Questions


SM Locke – I thought he was pretty impotent this episode Like we couldn’t see him tossing Desmond down the well a mile away. He seemed confused when in previous episodes he appeared to be the one with all the answers. We figured out that he needed all the Losties to get back off the island so he is gathering them all together. Again, I am not so sure him getting off the island is a bad thing. I am curious to find out who the boy is who seems to be taunting him.


Desmond – He was great as he orchestrated visited with Hurley and attempted to get him to meet with Libby. Even the cold way he mowed down Locke. But on the island he just seems to be creepy and in a trance. Sure, he knows more that he is saying, but the time it is taking to get to the end game is painful. I do like the idea that Desmond somehow knew that Locke is bad and chose that way to give him his near death experience. I hope Darlton work with that. I think we can guess that we are about to connect Locke, Jack, Jin and Sun at the hospital. Perhaps Claire can be there too for good measure.


What next? – Okay I have given this episode a good drumming. I think because I am starting to really like the flash sideways and they will all too soon be over. I would have liked to have been more invested in them earlier on with clues that they were going to link sooner. I remember from my earlier posts I wrote that I just didn’t care. But now I like them way more than life on the island. I don’t really have any idea how they are going to make it all make sense in the end. I didn't have a chance to really talk this episode out so once I do and I have any updates, I will be sure to post.


Conclusion


6 more weeks and it is all over. Please have a good plan, please have a good plan. I am starting to get sad to think it’s almost over but more afraid that it will end on a low note. But I am going to try and stay positive and read what you all have to say. I’m curious to see if I am the only one disappointed with this episode. That’s all for now. Take care and until next week, c-ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Question for you: I noticed the bus in the parking lot before Locke was run over was a Lutheran school bus. I wonder if there is a connection to something that Michael said to Hurley about why he was stuck on the island, as payment/repayment for things he's done and religion and the idea of "good works" or "good deeds". I never have good ideas on this and I normally don't even speculate but this caught my eye. I was thinking that they are always deliberate with what we see, so it got me wondering...

Colleen