Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The Candidate

Sorry, I am so out of practice. LOST takes a week off and I am completely discombobulated. But I will get back in the groove next week, I swear! I am so excited about the coming weeks I can hardly stand it.

Summary

WAH!!! I cried in the final moments of the sinking sub as the music played in the background, red light flashing ominously, Jin and Sun’s linked hands slowly separating as death consumes them. I balled like a baby! I think this was even sadder than when Charlie died. I wanted to kill Sawyer! He is really the fly in the ointment. Every one of his decisions, plots or plans goes wrong. I know there are masses of Sawyer fans…but I wish it had been him. It would have been sad, but he deserved it.

I just read this from another site so I’m giving them credit. There were 4 candidates left from the list that did not have their name crossed out - Kwon, Ford, Shepherd and Reyes. We didn’t know if they meant Jin or Sun. But we can assume that Jin was the candidate because if a candidate cannot be killed, Sun drowned but Jin chose to die. I would not be surprised if Sawyer, fed up with constantly being wrong and missing Juliet, does the same thing trying to be a hero. It seems to be his theme.

Connections

At this point, most were pretty obvious. Jack running into Bernard. The Apollo candy bar in the machine. Jack telling Locke, “What ever happened, happened.” The role reversals: Anthony Cooper being responsible for Locke’s condition on the island and the reverse in the flash sideways. Jack is a candidate on the island and Locke is a candidate in the flash sideways. The list goes on and on.

Questions

Widmore – I am still unclear on his purpose in all of this? If he wanted to help them, then why lock them up? It didn’t seem to help anyway. Instead of being straight with them since he knows the truth about the 2 timelines, why not share and end this? Or is that part of the rules? I am quite frankly frustrated with him at this point.

SM Locke – I believe Jack was right that they all have to die for him to leave the island. SM Locke seemed to confirm this when he realized the sub sank and nothing had changed. He knew that some made it out alive. I like this idea since his manipulations seem to have been consistent with them all along. Claire hurting Kate didn’t matter since Kate didn’t matter. But she is necessary to manipulate both Jack and Sawyer. I believe SM Locke needs them all to die so there is not a candidate to balance him on the island. I believe Widmore needs them to die so that he can merge the timelines. I think they need to die to get out of this. I like the fact that Jack seems to have become the true candidate as expected. I hope with him saving Desmond from the well that it will all come together.

Resolution for the characters – I think some have already gotten it. For those that died on the island, their journey is over. I feel they have to die on the island to be reset in the other one. In the flash sideways they seem to be experiencing memories. So the island has already happened to them even though they are living in the past. I am again reminded of the theory that what we are seeing in the flash sideways is the end.

Answers

There has been a lot of talk about what answers will or won’t be given within the next 3 weeks. Below is my list of must haves for this whole experience to have been truly worth it.

Walt – I need to know why Walt was so important. There were several seasons focused on him and to just let that entire storyline go will kill me. I either need another appearance by him or some sort of reference on the island or in the LA timeline. Something! Without that then the first seasons were just filled with empty promises. I think a connection could be made when you think about the little boy in the jungle taunting SM Locke. Seems about the age of Walt. Perhaps both boys are tied somehow to the mythology of the island. Or maybe I’m just grasping at straws! But something to think about.

Aaron/Claire – Why couldn’t Aaron be raised by another? I want that tied up too. It seems that he will be right now if Claire doesn’t make it off the island. I again just need a reference on the island or her giving birth in the LA timeline. I would take the fact that Claire goes into labor and has to be life flighted to the hospital, thus fulfilling the vision Desmond saw about her being in a helicopter to make Charlie’s death worth it. Charlie is still looking for her in LA so I can see a resolution possible.

Whispers – It was alluded to that the whispers were just the remnants of people who hadn’t resolved their issues on the island. So I need a previous person to come back or make some more connections to that point. I would like Mr. Echo or Shannon…but I’m not picky. I think it was too quickly revealed and needs a little more reference. This is a minor annoyance and without it I will survive. But it would be great if they would.

Ben/Miles/Richard – They have to meet back up with the group and make some kind of contribution. I want a confrontation between Ben and Widmore of some kind regarding their war. I also want Miles and Richard incorporated into the final episodes. They have become a part of the Losties family and to leave them hiding out in the jungle is ridiculous.

WHY??? – I think we will get the answer to the why this is all happening, resolution of Jacob and SM Locke, merging of the timelines and what it all means. I will be most happy if I get an answer and it makes sense.

This quote was from Wired magazine and an interview with Darlton explaining the non-answers that we will be given about the show:

"I assume that as a physicist, you say, “Force equals mass times acceleration,” and you can explain why. But when you spend time with a 3-year-old, you quickly find out that one question just begets another—there’s a “why” in the wake of every “why”—and the only way to end the conversation is to say, “Oh look, a Chuck E. Cheese!” The show is doing its best to say, “Oh look, Chuck E. Cheese!” For example, we’ve now given the viewers as much as we’re willing to say about the numbers, and we’re moving on. The characters are going to ask “What is the island”, and “Why are we here”, but more importantly, “How is it relevant to me.” They’re not sitting around in smoking jackets talking about the theoretical notions that we are, as audience members."

So what I take from that is that the characters will get the answers they need and deserve. They will get the answer to why them, was it worth it and what now. Only the answers the characters want and need….not us the viewers. They are not wondering about why the Others were so interested in Walt or if Desmond’s prophecy about Claire comes true or what were those funny whispers before they saw the SM or the Others in the jungle. They want to either go home or figure out why they needed to be there in the first place. I can respect Darlton being true to the show as long as its clear and rings true. If they can do that, then my 5 years were worth it.

Conclusion

Well, only 3 more episodes left. I am having a LOST season finale party at my house Sunday, May 23rd from 6:00 – 10:00pm. This is mainly so we can talk, reminisce, play a final game of LOST Scattergories, eat, drink and be merry before the 2-hour season finale. Another post with directions and more specifics coming later….just put it on your calendar. It’s the final one EVER – so if you have never been….now is your chance! All are welcome!

That’s if for now. Have a great rest of the week.

Take care and until next time, c-ya!

No comments: