Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What They Died For

I am going to be completely catatonic on Monday, May 24th. I cannot believe I am so emotionally tied to this show. As I reflect on tonight’s episode, I feel at ease knowing that they are going to end this right. I felt the answers that we got tonight were what we needed to know. I am not sure how it is all going to fit into 2 ½ hours with about 90 minutes of commercials (or so it seems!), but however long it takes to tell the end of this story, I believe I will be satisfied. LOST will go down as one of the best shows ever.

Summary

WE knew the minute Richard stepped outside and that he would “reason” with SM Locke that he was dead. I would have been more satisfied to have that confirmed, but logically if you were picked up several feet in the air and thrown at a high velocity…kind of makes it damn hard for you to walk away. Besides I think Richard’s part in this tale is done. I liked Sawyer’s line, “And I thought the guy had a God complex before”. Even with his heart breaking and things out of control, he was still true to form. When Desmond was arrested and walked into the cell in between Kate and Sayid I almost cheered. I really wish we had more time with Desmond in the Flash Sideways! That part of the story has gone from confusing and strange to one of the best arcs in the show.

Connections

Many of the connections were links between the original timeline and the flash sideways. We see that Hurley is now working with Desmond based on him remembering life on the island. Ana-Lucia was corrupt in the original timeline and is also corrupt in the flash sideways. Everyone is coming together at the museum gala which is similar to them meeting in the basement church with Eloise the first time around.

A big thing has been made about the identity of Jack’s ex-wife. In a perfect world it would be the actress Julie Bowen, as it was in the past. Everyone else is who they were from Rousseau being Alex’s mom, Anthony Cooper being Locke’s dad and Roger still being Ben’s father in the Flash Sideways. I think to toss Juliet, who has still yet to re-appear, in the role is cute but not consistent. I think she will appear in the Flash Sideways to reinforce her message through Miles that “It worked”. I think she will run into Sawyer and they will have a connection. Not sure who Kate ends up with.

Questions

I think there were major key points this episode that really resolve what is going on here.

Ben got back to his old bad self again. I didn’t like how he was muted this season, like all his power was for nothing. We see that it wasn’t for nothing as he aligns himself with SM Locke. He was a believer of Jacob and then was corrupted by the SM. In his comment that the door was where he was told he could summon the SM, but really he was the one being summoned, he realized that he has always following the wrong man. I don’t believe that Jacob had reached out to Ben at all, ever. In the cave before he stabbed him and Ben asked, “What about me?” Jacob responded, “What about you?” I think Ben finally realized what he was meant to do. But I wont ever believe that with Ben things are what they seemed. He is smart and cunning. SM Locke tells him he will be the leader of the island and then later tells him he is going to destroy it. Ben knows he is disposable. So what will be his end game? He’s already killed Widmore and gotten his revenge. What else is there left to do?

Another key resolution was the war between Widmore and Ben. For years fighting for control of the island and using their children as pawns. I was glad that Ben killed him because it stayed true to the story. Never would they align themselves especially after Ben was reminded of the death of Alex.

Candidates – I liked the resolution of why they were chosen to be candidates. Flawed, alone, searching for something. And Mothers would want to raise their young and not protect the island as they must. Jacob’s mother proved that by killing his brother to protect the island. Jack was always meant to be the new protector. But it wont be in the way Jacob did it. Jacob protected the physical island. I think Jack as the protector will do so in a different way. It’s the end. Not of Jacob, but of the world as they all know it. I think this is where the Flash Sideways comes in. I also have my suspicions about the who new candidate ceremony. It didn’t seem as though Jack changed at all and that it was more mind over matter. But either we assume he really is or isn’t is really not important. It is how things end with SM Locke.

Fail Safe - Desmond is the light where SM Locke is the dark. Desmond is the key if all else fails. He is working to bring them altogether in the Flash Sideways. They are have flashes of the island, not the other way around. So the flash sideways has to happen next. I can’t clearly see how that is going to happen, just that it is. Why was Ana Lucia not ready? Was it because she was still flawed where everyone else seemed healed? Is this really the end of does the story keep going and going with new Losties?

Conclusion

The time has come for all of us to come together and celebrate the ending of a really, really, really great show. But not just the show but the sharing of thoughts, feelings and good times over the last few years. Can you believe it…years! The LOST series finale party will be held on Sunday, May 23 from 6:00 – 11:30 pm. The link to the Evite is HERE.
All are welcome! I know some of you receive the link to the blog and we don’t know one another. But we are all part of the LOST family so join us!

I will post things as I see them this week. I am trying to stay away from any spoilers/hints until the big day. I read about the LOST convention in LA and was glad that I ended up not going. Although it looked like good times, there were too many cast members that have long since left the show (Dr Artz, Bernard, Yemi, Racinsky, young Ben Linus to name a few), and I am ready to move on to my next obsession. Any ideas when I’m done with my mourning period?!? Let’s discuss on Sunday. So until then, you all have a great week. Take care and until the 23rd….c-ya!

More Thoughts about LOST - Wed 9pm

See….told you I would have more to say!

I forgot another great line from Miles when in the closet and being shown the secret room and looking at the other door with Hieroglyphics, “Is that the secreter room?”.

And perhaps Richard isn’t dead just injured. I still don’t see his purpose to the storyline anymore so it really doesn’t matter.

I am not sure if I said this in the blog but I think it was Miles that freed Desmond. I think the spirit Alex told him what he had to do.

I think there were never actual rules between Widmore and Ben. We thought that they couldn’t kill each other because of “the rules.” Ben realizes that he was following SM all along and that Widmore was able to break the rules by having Keamy kill Alex. He then realized there were no rules and kills Widmore. I think the way he did it was to impact SM Locke.

Jacob told Jack that The Source was in the bamboo fields he first landed on when he got to the island. Could he be guiding Jack to the place where it all started? Just as Desmond is taking everyone to the portal at the museum? Eloise said there were times when whatever aligned and they could cross over. That is why they had to be on that specific Ajira flight with the specific people. I think it’s more about connecting the time lines then protecting The Source. The Source is supposed to be the source of Life, death, rebirth. The Flash Sideways certainly feels like a rebirth of the Losties. I also think the best way to protect The Source is to sink the island. Much like Atlantis. It stops the SM and anyone else from ever accessing it again.


What they died for – They died for each other. Sometimes to protect each other (Sayid, Charlie, Boone, Daniel, Juliet) and other times by each other (Ana Lucia, Libby, Shannon, Jin and Sun). They all had choices and its what led them to make the decisions that they did. So it makes sense that Jack would be the new Jacob. It was his progression. I remember in Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4), the kid was running behind Bruce Willis and saying that he couldn’t believe the danger he was putting himself in. Wrong place at the wrong time guy. The kid kept saying that he was not that guy. At the end, the kid helps Bruce save the day and Bruce thanks him. The kid says, “well, what was I going to do?”. Bruce turns to him and says, “That’s what makes you THAT guy.” I think of the Losties in that way as well. They seemed to have opportunities to leave and focus on their old life. Much like Michael did when he left the island. The major theme about Lost is choice.

No comments: