Friday, March 02, 2007

Tricia Tanaka is Dead

Okay, I do have a good excuse this week for being so EXTREMELY late with the blog. My daughter is having difficulty in school. Now that is completely surprising to me since I am either listening to Howard Stern on headphones, talking online to people about LOST and now American Idol or working until midnight because during the day I am gossiping about who was doing what at work. No home support?!? Are they crazy! You ask her anything about season 1 or 2, she’s golden. Wonder if that can that be a question on the standardized test? Anyway I was rocked by a pretty bad teacher conference and now my sweet child will have to get by on her looks. Luckily for me she’s cute. So I apologize profusely and will make a weak promise to never do it again. On with the show…

Summary
I thought it was a good episode. I am now going to stop waiting/looking for the show to give answers and try just enjoying it. I think it was one of the funniest ones they have had and a good transition to the rest of the season. Sawyer had some absolutely hilarious lines, “Jiminey Cricket, Snuffy (as in Snuffleupagus), Jimbo, Oliver twist, Skeletor, International House of Pancakes.” Best lines, “Let’s look death in the face and say, whatever man.” “Well somebody’s hooked on phonics.” And of course, S: What’s going on Jumbo Tron? H: Shut up. Red- -Neck- -Man. S: (pause) Touchè. Loving it. I liked how everyone was happy to see Kate and Sawyer back. They all seemed like family.

Connections
The father/son connection was made, now with Hurley. Yet another person with daddy issues. Hurley was not able to fix the Camaro with his dad, but he was able to fix the VW bus. The rabbit foot keychain was a connection to the, “You gotta make your own luck, Hurley.” The number 4 was in the license plate to the Camaro and Tricia Tanaka worked for Action 8 news. One of the documents in the van had the heading “Ho’oulu Lahui” which means to grow/propagate/inspire a species/tribe. The song that was playing when Hurley’s dad left was playing when the van started, Shambala by Three Dog Night. There is a picture of a tropical beach on the wall in Hurley's dining room.
Hurley told his father "I'm not going anywhere with you." Walt said those exact words to Michael when Michael came back into his life. The label on the beer shows The Swan logo as opposed to the normal Dharma logo that was on the food at the beginning. We now know how Randy becomes the boss of Locke at the box company, because we see the meteorite hit Mr. Cluck’s thus ending his tenure as manager there. I found it interesting the name, Roger Workman. Similar to the man on the orientation, Mr. Wick Man. Could it be their jobs on the island and not their real last names?

Questions
Not too many new questions. I am curious to find out what killed the people on the island. From Mr. Work Man and the bodies in the cave. Was there a road that the truck was on and it is now covered by the jungle? Where does the road lead? If Ben has been on the island all his life he would have been a kid when the island was filled with people. He knows what happened to them. Hurley’s line about the beer being as old as Rocky III, maybe II, puts the age at 1979. That would match the later age of the orientation video. Again, no new questions, no new answers.

Conclusion
Glad to see Rousseau back and perhaps now in a prominent role. Wonder what will happen when she comes face to face with Alex. Obviously a season finale moment. I don’t look at spoilers so I will have to be patient and wait. I look forward to more action next week. The tv show Heroes this week showed that a show that has to go slow lest it spoil all its surprises, can give answers and still continue strong. Take a lesson, Lost, however you’re still my number one! C-ya next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing I keep wondering about Rousseau is why she never found the others base or why they have yet to capture/find her. Look how much the interaction they have had with the losties. She captured Ben so she can’t be on their side. She is an interesting character.

Anonymous said...

I have a new theory that a co worker suggested. She said that they are all in purgatory. What do you think?

LOSTMyMind said...

I think with Rousseau, they may have experimented with her. She has slowly been driven crazy. If they can get off the island, why not help her off? If she is Alex's mother, why watch her grieve for her? They have cameras everywhere on the island. But now that I think about it maybe not?!? I will add this trail of consciousness in tonight's blog. I think she may be a major key.

To the other comment: It's not purgatory. The writers and directors have repeatedly said in articles and interviews that it is not purgatory. It is way to easy for them to be dead and have to redeem themselves (or in Mr. Echo's case-not!) and then they pass on. But they have said its not purgatory.