Friday, May 02, 2008

Something Nice Back Home

This is going be a quick one because this episode seemed more like a set-up for things to come. I didn’t love the episode because it hinted at a direction on the show that I hope it doesn’t continue. The title, Something Nice Back Home, is from when Bernard was talking to Jack and said wouldn’t you rather be dreaming about something nice back home, instead of awake for the surgery. That hints at the fact that the flash forwards are not real and are dreams. Add in that Hugo thinks they are all dead off the island. I don’t like that. And if it’s not a dream, then possibly the island is living and off the island is purgatory. I would hate that. And the producers still maintain that within reason, events are rooted in reality. I hope for their sake that remains true because them all being dead or this is a dream or someone’s subconscious projection will cause riots in the streets!

I loved Jin as a bad ass. He can go between good guy and bad guy so easily. It seems as though he understands on some level that him and Sun won’t both get off the island. All he wants is for Sun and his baby to make it. That was really sweet. So I will accept this meandering episode…but I don’t have to love it!

Connections

We had some nicknames…Sawyer called Miles “Donger” from Sixteen Candles. Charlotte was referred to as “Red”. The opening scene was of an eye which is a reoccurring theme. Jack is reading about a Red Sox game that took place the end of August 2007, that is the potential date stamp for the flash forward. Jack stepped on the Millennium Falcon toy from Star Wars. I definitely believe that Sawyer is Hans Solo. I’m not sure about the further implications of it because RG (yes, you got a shot out!) is not here to bless me with is Star Warian theology. I think it was the constant need for both Skywalker and Hans to save Princess Lei. Jack feels he has by rescuing her off the island. But it may have really been Sawyer. He stayed so she could go, much like Jin staying so that Sun could go.

We had another parallel with Alice of Wonderland. Jack reading the story to Aaron, especially the chapter about Alice in transition from the real world to Wonderland. Much like Hurley seems to now be stuck. Jack’s assistant calling him reminding him about his appointments because he has issues with time. That refers to the potential time distortion and off the island. The x-ray Jack was looking at had the same tumor on the L4 vertebrae that Ben had. I started to get worried there because the whole subconscious dream thing, but hopefully it’s just coincidence.

Questions

On the boards, folks were mad that the smoke monster didn’t kill all the freighties. It mainly just distracted them so that the Losties could get out of the barracks. I’m ok with that because we still don’t really know what the smoke monster is all about. Also the smoke alarm going off and then the smoke monster appears in the form of Christian Shephard. It thought it was more like an alert. But that is a cute connection. Claire made the comment that she was glad she is no longer seeing this. This was based on a scene that was cut. It seemed too sudden that she sees Christian and then goes off with him. Blame that one on the strike. It was better explained and further developed but cut due to the shorter season limitation. With Claire gone, not sure how Jack makes the connection that it is his half sister. That is what I am waiting for.

Hurley had the best line with “You’re not supposed to raise him.” Is that because no on who is related to Aaron is supposed to raise him? Remember the psychic said that Aaron had to be raised by another. It is sad to think he can’t be with Kate even if he got his addictions cured. The way he said, “He isn’t even your blood” indicated that he knows that Aaron is his nephew. Again, that is the scene I am waiting for.

Kate, when talking on the phone, was making plans to visit with someone because Jack wouldn’t be home until 6. Jack, being paranoid, came home earlier than expected to catch her. I believe Kate was making plans to check on Clementine, Sawyer’s daughter. Of course from Jack’s fight with Kate, Sawyer obviously chooses to stay. But why?

Miles had some great moments. He is the only one that can understand the whispers. That is big. Is that because the whispers are of the dead or because he just has a heightened sense of awareness? He knows that something happens to Claire and that is why he kept wanting to take Aaron for her. One theory is that Claire is really dead. The house explosion killed her and she is just a manifestation. That is why she seemed so odd after the explosion and why Miles was looking at her strangely. I don’t think I like that idea but it does make sense in relation to Miles. Miles obviously saw her with Christian and knows that Christian is dead. So why did he allow her to go? If she was dead too, then she was supposed to leave. But if not, why would he allow her to walk off with a ghost? I am digging Miles right now.

Conclusion

Just erased what I typed because some of you don’t watch the previews. Let me just say it gets more confusing next week. Great. I think I like the supernatural aspects of the island the best. I was also digging the scenes with Juliette. She’s one sharp chick. Not only reading Jack like a book about his feelings for Kate but calling him out for being awake while they were talking. Loved it! Of course the Neanderthals online could only talk about Kate’s ass when she leapt into Jack’s arm. On one hand I am disgusted and rolling my eyes as I read the comments. On the other I am renewing my membership at the gym. J

I am looking forward to the end of this season because we are really getting closer to some real answers. I also have to fight back the depression that it almost over. We’ll hang in there together. Until next week….c-ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You star wars analysis was good. Another connection to star wars is the whole Luke and Leia unknown siblings and Claire and Jack unknown siblings with a mysterious dark father, who may or may not redeem himself in the end.