Thursday, April 16, 2009

Some Like It Hoth

Announcements

Hello all! Better late than never. I am still on spring break so need to get back into the swing of things. My hand is feeling much better and I am up to typing 40 words per minute (with a little Vicodine), but was assured by the doc today that I will be back to my old typing self in 2 more weeks. I did see the pictures from the LOST weekend a couple of weeks back. They had a lot of cool swag that I am ordering for the LOST season finale party which is coming up in a few weeks. Boy, how this season has moved by. Cast members at the weekend were Yemi, Nadia, Bernard, and young Ben. I could have sworn I saw Widmore in one of the shots, but that’s unconfirmed. But next year should be a blast because it’s the last one. But anyway, if anyone wants the link, let me know. So…on with the show!

Summary

I thought it was a pretty good character development show. I hate being wrong, so instead I will say that I was not right. I poo poo’d the idea that Dr. Chang’s baby was Miles and bam…it’s Miles. I guess I thought that was just too easy. Too straight forward, too obvious. Maybe that’s the point. The show is winding down and everything is tying up nicely into a bow. Of course if I mean Locke coming back from the dead on the island, time travel to the past and a mysterious war on the horizon, tying things up…then yes. But it just seems to me that before the flashbacks would be character development. Now they are connecting parts of the story. I really like Miles so I was glad to learn more about him. He’s scenes with Hurley are priceless. Favorite line: When asked how he knew that Dr. Chang was his father, Miles replied, “3rd day of us being here I was on line in the cafeteria and my mom got in line behind me. That was my first clue.” Of course the references once again to Star Wars were classic. “Ewoks sucked, Dude.” I couldn’t agree more. This is the second movie to lament the death of the Storm Troopers on the Death Star. I believe the first was in the movie Clerks. But Hurley always seeming to be speaking from the mind of the fans, reaching out to Miles and drawing a parallel between Miles’ relationship with his dad and Luke Skywalker’s relationship with his dad Darth Vader. Star Wars saga fans going crazy everywhere. I thought it was a nice touch. Not sure if Miles will end up being the catalyst for his dad sending his mom and him away. Either by telling him as Daniel tried to do with a young Charlotte, or in some other way. We shall see.

Connections

The title of the episode is a play on words, “Some like it Hoth’”. I am not that much of a Star Wars geek so I had to look this one up. It is the name of a planet in The Empire Strikes Back that the rebel forces escape to. In addition, Hurley's story in the notebook has a hidden meaning. Chewbacca saves the day in Hurley's story but it is Hans Solo in the movie. I believe he identifies with Chewy more. The title also references the movie Some Like it Hot about a comedic duo that witnesses a mob murder, much like Hurley and Miles witness the dead body of Alvarez. In the opening site, the microwave flashed 3:16 on the screen, a reference to the numbers and possible the bible – John 3:16. The apartment were the dead body was in was #4. The key to the apartment was hidden under a white rabbit. Miles was offered 1.6 million to go to the island (16) and then asked for double that amount, 3.2 million (32).

Questions

Bram - So we have another faction. Great! Still don’t know what lies in the shadow of the statue. There seems to be 3 groups: Locke/Ben/Island vs. Widmore vs. Ilana/Bram. Bram didn’t want Miles to join Widmore. He didn’t join Bram and has ended up on the Losties side. Hopefully we will learn more about that in the coming weeks.

Faraday – Did he flash to Ann Arbor or was he on the island and left on the sub and is now coming back? Ann Arbor is where the DeGroots where in school at the University of Michigan when they started the Dharma Initiative. What his role on the island? Who’s side is he on? Miles was brought because of his tracking ability and because he is Dr. Chang’s son. Charlotte was once on the island as well and was brought because of her archeological abilities, which now seem wasted now that she is dead. I am curious what Daniel brings to the table?

Where are we?

At this point I have never been so lost with this show. Daniel is back and hopefully he knows how to get them back to 2008. What has to happen before they can get there? Can they all go or do some stay back? Since this is their present, they don’t all have to go back. I would like to learn more about the Others. I think that is the main hole for me right now. What is Richard’s back story? How are they a part of the island? What is their purpose? As we inch further and further towards the end, I hope they answer it all.

Conclusion

Next week, no LOST. When they say no repeats, I want new episodes every week! They keep saying it’s a special show but it’s just a retrospective show. If you need a review, watch it. If not, we will get a new show the following weeks. So have a great 2 weeks and until we get a new LOST once again, c-ya!

No comments: