Thursday, April 09, 2009

What Happened, Happened & Dead is Dead

Introduction

Hi all! As you may have noticed, I did not write a blog last week. I had Carpal Tunnel Release surgery last Wednesday and was pretty much hopped up on a lot of Vicodin by the time LOST came on. Today is the first day really that I have used my right hand to type. I was pretty okay until I youtubed a video of the procedure. Yuck! And because I am truly a little boy in the body of an older woman, I took a picture of if. Warning! NOT for the faint of heart! But once you will see, you will understand the week and a day wait for the blog. Follow the link, [Ouch Alert] if you are as morbid as I am. Anyway, on to the show.

Summary


What Happened, Happened was a very straight forward episode. We got Kate’s flashback and what drove her to get on the plane. We pretty much figured out that she gave Aaron to his grandmother, not big revelation. We also learn that by Jack not helping Ben and Kate and Sawyer taking him to the Others, the Others become a permanent part of his life and for him to loose his innocence. Although I think that Ben losing his innocence was more of him having to grow up. Understanding good and evil. I think it was his own nature that turned him into a bastard. That is why the island replaced him. He lost his way as Widmore did. Not to mention his dad continued to abuse him until he was an adult which added to it.

Dead is Dead was good because we were able to learn more about Ben. But again, is he the good guy or the bad guy? I thought it was extremely creepy when Ben opened the door to find Sun – great scene. The show does spine tingling moments well. I think Ben ultimately didn’t shoot Penelope because the thought of leaving the boy without his mother was too reminiscent of his life. Also it reminded him of his encounter with Rousseau.

Connections


A connection in What Happened, Happened is the song, Catch A Falling Star, Kate is singing to Aaron. Christian sang the same song to Claire when she was little. In Dead is Dead, the name of Desmond and Penny’s boat is Our Mutual Friend. That is the name of the book by Charles Dickens that Desmond wanted to read before he died. The numbers were also on the crate Ilana had.

Questions

What happened, happened


I loved that Hurley brought up whole time travel question and reference to Back to The Future. It was like the producers were talking directly to us. I think that Miles did a great job explaining what it all means. They cannot change the past, what happened, happened. Even if they think they are changing the past, they are merely ensuring the future. 1977 is the Losties actual present, not their past. That is why they don’t remember it happening because it didn’t yet. That is key because that means they are not traveling back in time like Marty McFly, but actually traveling in their same time plane. At some point they leave1977, and I believe go to back to 2008, in their own time. Perhaps to help against Widmore and the war.

Ben would have hated the Others because he was shot by one (or so he thought). Instead he was saved by them and then promptly forgets the whole thing. Ben doesn’t remember Sayid shooting him in 1977 because it didn’t happen yet. The turn of the wheel caused Sayid to travel back in time and shoot him. So in 2005 he didn’t recognize Sayid because in the time plane he was not shot. Richard said he would have no memory of being shot by Sayid, not that he wouldn’t remember. No memory means to me that it’s because it didn’t happen. I thought last week that Ben did know that he was shot by Sayid. I don’t think that’s true. But one theory is that he might have had a sudden memory of him, much like Desmond did of Farraday. We will have to see on that one.

Dead is Dead

My guess is that Widmore is behind Ilana. Just in case Ben did find a way to get back to the island, she was sent to cover Sayid. But I find it interesting that they had the foresight to bring a crate of a weapons (?) with her. She was obviously not on the plane alone. What lies in the shadow at the foot of the statue? Yet another puzzle. Great! Perhaps the nuclear bomb. Is that phrase a password to find others working for Widmore much like the snowman riddle was for Desmond?

The smoke monster reacted to Ben kind of like Juliet and Ecko. Snapping pictures of their life and past. I think it was a rip-off to mainly show scenes we had just seen in this episode. The writers could have gone back to the tapes for some more reminders of his life with Alex. Alex comes to Ben in a manifestation and tells him he must follow Locke. I thought that was kind of anti-climatic. Will he really do it? I am not completely sure he is reformed. I think he was temporarily spared like Michael because he still needs to do something for the island. He probably will be later killed like Ecko because of his lack of redemption.

I think it was really interesting that Ben told Rousseau that if she hears the whispers to run the other way. Is that the calling card of the Others? Could it be that he was protecting her from them? If Ethan (the boy with Ben) had gone into the tent, he would have followed Widmore blindly and killed Rousseau and Alex. But Ben had some sort of a conscious. Why is Ethan with Ben now and the Others? Was he stolen as a child as the Flight 815 children were?

I really do like how Locke is coming into his role as the leader of the island. The Locke before was at times a beaten and broken down man. I like how strong he has become. I am looking forward to the war. Who will it be against and how will it be fought? Locke is now the new leader of the island, but why him and why now? What is Jacob?

Conclusion

I will make sure to let you know what happened at the LOST convention next week. I haven’t even had time to read the review and watch the videos. But if it was anything like the year I went, it should have been a lot of fun. The visit to the set of LOST went for $350 at an auction I was at. That did not include air or hotel. But if it had been around the 15th of the month…that trip would have been mine! Oh well…my time will come. Enjoy your holiday or Spring Break if you get one. Next week should also be a good one as we learn more about Miles. He has slowly become one of my favorites. Until next week…C-ya!

No comments: